There was a plan. It was a good plan, at least I thought so.
Yesterday, there was a trip to Joann's to pick up fabric and some extra thread for the mail sorter project. Spaces were measured and a small doodle was drawn up to make sure the idea in my head of how to put it together was correct.
Today the old machine was pulled out (I have two - the old one is my mom's and a newer one which was gifted to me by a friend who bought it and never used it). And after 2 hours the final score is:
Sewing Machine:3
Me:2
It started out well. I managed to successfully thread both the top and bottom bobbins the first time 'round. (There may have been past tries where I've failed miserably at this). The pieces were ready and I set off merrily on my way. In my head, I may have been singing a happy little song, thinking to myself that this was a piece of cake and how awesome it was going to be when I blogged about the finished product. Looking back I think that fate might not have appreciated my cockiness.
Halfway through the first pass the bottom threads bunched up and I realized (after I removed the fabric) that while the top stitches looked perfect, the bottom stitches were a mess of loose loops. So after picking out the stitches and adjusting the tension I started again. This time I couldn't get the bottom bobbin to work right.
It took me about thirty minutes to figure out what the heck I was doing wrong - and I was on my way again. This time it took only about 2 seconds before there was a mess of stitches everywhere.
I took one look at the stitches... another at the machine... sighed to myself and realized life is just too short. There are other things I need to do around the house today. And as much as I hate to admit it, the machine won. (For now)
Sometime later this week, when I have more time and more patience, I'll try again. Until then - I've got knitting to work on! :)
Sunday, January 31, 2010
The Plan
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|