Sunday, August 23, 2009

Re-entry with a FO Post!



Pattern: Cleite Shawl by Miriam Felton.
Needles: 3.75mm circulars
Yarn: My own handspun!.

Began: July 25, 2009
Completed: August 7, 2009


When I last blogged - and I mean really blogged, not just a check in... I had been tempted to cast on another Noro Striped Scarf, because life was crazy and I felt like I needed something easy that would be finished quickly.

Well, I found out that assumption was totally wrong. With all of the personal life stuff and work stuff that was going on, right smack dab in the middle of me having to take a week and a half off (switching employers - not jobs - meant that I had to use up all my leave time), left me with WAY too much time on my hands to mull over things I had/have no control over. And this my friends made me a very, very cranky girl.

So I started the shawl and found that it was just complicated enough that I had to give 100% of my attention to knitting it and therefore was unable to overthink all the other things going on. (True, avoidance is not necessarily the best way to deal with things, but like I said before - I can't do anything to improve the issues that are making me cranky).


You can click any of the photos for larger versions.


When I started, I knew I wanted to use the handspun, and I knew that I wanted the gray color at the top and the gold at the bottom. I wanted the gold to encompass the whole bottom edge too. (Logically I started looking for a top down shawl, that was not knitted straight across.) Cleite, once I took a look at the pattern description, took me in one fell swoop with the words:

"the placement of the decreases creates a scalloped line when bound off without adding a separate edging. That makes this a perfect shawl for handspun, as you can bind off whenever you run out of yarn"


Ding, ding, ding, ding, DING! We had a winner!!! It turned out to be everything that I imagined and more! I really thought that with my yardage (582 yds) that the shawl would be very short, more of a kerchief. But it is more than ample enough for my tall frame.

I did try to get some shots modeled by my mom... but what can I say? My mom is one of the most animated individuals I know, and I just couldn't get the camera to keep up with her. Below is the best one out of a group of almost 30 shots.




You know, I may be more proud of this project than any other... even that my February Lady!