Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Picot Problems

Sunday night, I began the last of the Christmas presents (details cannot be mentioned until after the gifting). As long as the knitting fates don't go out of their way to be against me, these should be finished by the 25th. (Eeeee!! Only a week away!!)

There is picot edging around a portion of the present. I've never done a picot edging. I've envied socks that had the lovely edging around the cuff, but I've never made the leap. So Sunday, after a long car trip back from Orlando, I began.

The set up stitches to the hem were a breeze – just knit rounds with a *yo, k2tog* row in the middle. No problems. Things became tricky when I made it to the round where you fold the work in half and pick up the cast on stitches, knitting them together with the current stitch on the needle…

Frustrations galore!!!

I'm not sure if it was because the yarn was darker, or if I cast on too tightly… maybe it was because there were only 3 rows on each side, which made it difficult to keep the fabric folded under. Whatever the problem was/is, I only managed to make it through 12 of the 48 stitches before I had to put it down before I threw it across the room and stomped off.

Thankfully yesterday it was a bit more cooperative and I was able to finish it. It does look slightly wonky though. Some of the points are more defined than others. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to making a perfect picot?? I'd really appreciate any help I can get!