Monday, May 28, 2007

Gadabout Sheep and Wool Festival and Other Short Stories

My friends, the house is finally quiet! And let me tell you it's amazing how dirty one house can get after one day of mayhem. But I know you're not here for a rant on how insanely messy my house is at this very moment so I'll get to the good stuff.

Yesterday morning was spent mostly in the backyard with the furry friends that my sister-in-law brought with her. They were loud and entertaining and left a huge mess out back, but a good time was had. The two sheep were recently taken from their lambs so they were pretty full if you know what I mean. So my SIL milked them.





I knew people milked and drank goats milk but never in my life thought that I would ever see someone milking a sheep. And more than that, I never thought that I would ever see husband drinking sheeps milk practically straight out of a ewe.



Husband, being an avid (cows) milk drinker, said that the sheeps milk tasted more like cows milk than goats milk does. This I will be using later to insure that we get sheep, once we move to more land and out of the city.
----------

Last night my house was a zoo. We spent the evening at my parents for an early Memorial Day get-together and proceeded to bring my sister and brother home with us. (Sister left around 11 pm but brother ended up spending the night here). So in our 2 bedroom (1 bed), one bathroom, usually quiet house we crammed in 5 people. Brother ended up on the couch. SIL and her daughter took the couch bed in the second bedroom.

This morning was crazy as SIL had to pack up herself and her daughter along with all the furry friends and we had to pack up my brother (who spent the whole night and early morning playing video games with husband and neither wanted to get up this morning) to take him back to my parents. But now all is quiet once again in my little abode.
----------

But from this tiny "Festival" (because I don't live anywhere near a real S&W festival, I have dubbed this as my own), I made away with some awesome fiberiness!



Why what is in those 4 humongous garbage bags?

Erm, I believe that this is from a Mini-Cheviot/Katahdin cross although I'll check with SIL when she comes back on Thursday.


100% Tunis (and the biggest bag at that!)


From a black Southdown Babydoll/Jacob's Cross, there is one full bag and almost another full bag of this (which I would like to one day make husband a sweater out of).


Now I'm off to research washing raw wool, I want to get this all cleaned up by next weekend so I can store it in the house instead of in the carport. Oh yeah, another sock was cast on last night, but I want to get a few pattern repeats in before I post pictures! How I love learning new things!!