Friday, April 4, 2008

Update

Our friend is hopefully heading back home tonight, with an "all clear" from the doctors. It looks like he won't have to have any majorly invasive brain surgery either which is absolutely wonderful! Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers!!

I also have fairly big news! (No, I'm not pregnant. Although my sister did for some reason and started freaking out while we were talking on Google chat today). No, my news is nowhere near as exciting or big as being pregnant, but I think it's a huge step for me.

I babysat today


Sure, most of you think, "Big deal". But you must understand that I am incredibly uncomfortable around children. For some reason I just don't know what to do with them, how to interact with them, or just relax around them. I have never babysat anyone in my 24 years of existance (except my own siblings, which was more of a make sure they don't kill each other and the house doesn't burn down, type thing). Never once have I changed a dirty diaper, or helped another individual to use the facilities.

But the more and more I hang out with my friend, A. The more and more I relax around her kids. I've even been known to hold her baby boy!! (Which holding babies is something I never do). So when we heard that they would be headed down to Gainesville, I made a call to her MiL to let her know that I would be more than willing to help out in any way with the kiddos or the puppies.

She took me up on that offer and this morning I skipped out on work (although I'm working late tonight), and headed over for THREE HOURS of one on one time with A's 3 year old daughter.

We watched Clifford on t.v., played outside in the sandbox, read a book, she showed me her garden and we pulled some weeds, played with her dollhouse and she even let me knit on my sock while she made a picture for her papa! There was no crying, no accidents... no problems at all! I could understand what she was saying (which sometimes I find difficult to do as she speaks softly), and she was more than happy to take me around the house and show me all her favorite things.

Seriously guys I am so ellated that I have spent three hours with someone under the age of 5, all by myself and survived!! Not only did I survive, I loved every minute of it!!

(I'm not about to go offering to babysit everyone's kids, however in the future I will be much more comfortable if A and her husband ask us to watch the kids while they take a much needed and deserved night out).

I swear next post will be fiber related! (I started spinning some laceweight last night) and there has been progress on two of my UFOs.